I’m back from a much needed Fantasy Football draft vacation in Florida!!! The water was warm and I’m at least three shades darker (don’t worry I had SPF 70 on). But who cares about my vacation, I need to feed your minds with some vegetarian goodness.
My best friend and I used to have study parties but the best ones consisted of sloppy Joes. Maybe it was because they were delicious and easy to make…….OR……it was because we could sing the Lunch Lady song as we ate them. Well, here is my take on this American classic using mushrooms and kidney beans as a substitute for ground beef.
- 1/3 cup of red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup of green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup of red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 beef steak tomato w/ juice
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4-5 drops of hot sauce
- 1 cup of canned kidney beans
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- Buns & cheese of your choice
1. Add olive oil to a pan and allow to get hot. Turn stove down to medium heat and add bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce. Let this simmer on low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
3. Throw in the kidney beans and let them heat through.
4. Now chow down and sing along to this song:
It’s great to be back and I hope you enjoy!!!