I’m studying for the GRE right now and I really need some snacks to keep me focused. Now, I grew up eating an obscene amount of liver so this is my protein packed vegetarian spin on the forever delicious pâté. This recipe should make 1 cup of spread…..enjoy!
- 12 oz. cut portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion lightly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 tsp. of soy sauce
- 1 tsp. of molasses
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- Crackers of your choice
1. Add all ingredients except kosher salt, bay leaf and water into a mixing bowl. Coat mushrooms with mixture and let them marinade for 10 minutes.
2. Add a pinch of kosher salt to a saucepan and boil 1 cup of water. Add mixture and a bay leaf to the boiling water. Reduce heat to low and let mixture simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Remove saucepan from heat and let mixture stand covered for 5 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf and puree mixture with approximately 1/4 of the mixtures juice in a food processor until a coarse paste forms.
**Note: Addition of liquid may be needed if mixture is too thick.**
5. Let mixture come to room temperature or chill overnight. (Can be refrigerated for approximately 2-3 days).
Hybrid of recipes brought to you by Foodandwine.com