I love cheese! However, the one that takes the cake is Gouda….don’t sleep on the Gouda. So after seeing my blogging neighbor from Vedged Out make her own vegan Gouda, I just had to find an excuse to go to the grocery store. After scowering the internet I found an excellent vegetarian recipe at TasteSpotting. I feel like this recipe is truly the perfect marriage of greens and pure unhealthy cheesy greatness. Check it out:
Yields 1 Sandwich
- 2 Slices of bread
- Smoked Gouda, sliced thin for easy melting
- Handful of baby spinach
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced thin
- olive oil and/or butter
- Easy Pesto (check below)
1. Oil and heat pan on medium. Toast one side of each slice of bread and remove from heat. ( I like this method, feel free to use your own)
2. Take bread out of pan and add smoked gouda slices to each toasted side. Then add the sliced avocado, easy pesto, and spinach to one side. Top with the second slice of bread and gently press together. Move pan back to heated surface.
3. Add sandwich to hot pan and cook both sides until golden brown, gently pressing in between flipping.
- 1/3 cup of basil (.66 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a food processor, pulse garlic, basil and Parmesan until chopped and blended.
2. Slowly drizzle in the 1/4 cup of olive oil until the consistency of pesto is reached (Depending on your preference, more olive oil might be needed).
3. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use right away or let it sit to marinate all of the flavors.