Today was the last day with my Sunday School students before I head to Chicago. So, I decided to bring them one of my favorite treats………chocolate and saltine brittle. Now, as a warning, this is not a healthy recipe at all. The best way to really describe this tasty treat is diabetes and a heart attack. However, if saltine brittle is wrong I don’t want to be right! Let’s get to it!
Recipe yields 12 servings
Note: Pictures reflect a larger serving size.
- 35 saltine crackers
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- Kosher salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil with cooking oil spray. Then place crackers on foil in 5 x 7 inch rows.
2. Microwave butter on high for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
3. Pour over crackers. Bake 17 – 20 minutes (should bubble but not burn).
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crackers. Spread after 2 minutes (chips should be nice and gooey now).
Option: Sprinkle kosher salt on top.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Break into pieces.
For my students I used some wax paper to wrap up the broken pieces and tied a bow around it to make a sweet little present.
Who will you make smile with sweet treats for the holidays?