Hello My Lovely’s!
While I’m working on the boutique, I wanted to stop by and give you another recipe for your cooking arsenal. Now, this is one that I have been avoiding for weeks because….well…..I thought it would taste like crap. However, much to my amazement, it was one of the most delicious things EVER!
Now, before we begin on this vegetarian journey I just want to preface this recipe by saying the following things:
- This is not supposed to replace a burger because nothing replaces red meat, of course black beans.
- The batter consistency is that of a turkey burger so be prepared to wonder if you should follow through (but definitely do, PEER PRESSURE).
- If you lightly coat the patty with breadcrumbs it will be easier to transport to the skillet.
Alrighty! Let’s get to it.
Note: This recipe yields 4 burgers
- 1 16oz can of black beans, drained
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp. of Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. of Cayenne pepper
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn, thawed
- 1/8 cup of red onions
- 1 tbsp. of cilantro, finely chopped
- Pretzel buns (or any buns that you like)
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Approximately 1 cup of breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven for 400 degrees. Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add corn and red onions then saute until slightly browned (about 5-7 minutes). While the sautéing is going on, prepare the sweet potatoes using the recipe below.
2. While the sweet potatoes are baking, mash 3/4 of the can of black means until smooth (hands should suffice). Add 1/2 of the breadcrumbs, spices, cilantro, the remaining black beans and egg. Let the sautéed mixture cool then add. Combine thoroughly and add breadcrumbs until you have the right consistency. Set aside.
Note: If you are not using the batter in the next couple of days store using freezer bags. Hell, just make a big batch why don’t ya?…Sorry Wholefoods!
3. When there are 5 minutes left on the potatoes, heat oil in a sauté pan. Cook black bean burgers about 4 minutes per side.
4. Assemble burger on toasted bun with your condiments of choice. I personally love a garlic aioli, goat cheese and an arugula/spinach blend on a toasted pretzel bun.
Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Ingredients: Makes 1 serving
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large sweet potatoes
1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into fries. Coat fries with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
Well, I hope that you all enjoy this lovely recipe! Until next time.