Hello! The summer is still here (Boo) which means we can still have barbecues and eat an overabundance of side dishes (Yay). Look, in all seriousness being a vegetarian at a barbecue can really mean eating nothing but side dishes. Soooooo, lets make an awesome one that you can sit in a corner and eat while fighting guests off with a fork…..or share.
I’m a sucker for bean burgers and slaw so when a I saw a Runner’s World test kitchen recipe for a curry slaw I knew I had to make this one my own. I decided to substitute the mayo for greek yogurt, switched up the raisins and used Stella Cidre and agave instead of apple juice. Also, being a person that used to eat red meat like I was paid to do so, I know it would compliment a juicy beef burger. Check it out below:
Note: Recipe yields 4 servings
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot (approx 1 carrot)
- 2 Granny smith apples, chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup California raisins
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (approx. 6 oz container)
- 1 tsp curry powder (I used muchi curry powder)
- 3 tbsp of Stella Cidre
- 2 tsp of Agave
- Salt and pepper to taste
Note: The key to this recipe is organization, of course if you’re doing all of the shredding.
1. In a separate bowl, combine greek yogurt, Stella Cidre, agave, curry powder, salt, and pepper. ( Note: Making this first will allow the flavors to combine and compliment each other.)
2. In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrot, apples, scallions, and raisins.
3. Add Greek yogurt mixture to the cabbage mixture and toss well. Let the combined ingredients marinate for 10 minutes.
I hope you all enjoy this spicy treat that just so happens to yield the same amount of servings as the black bean burgers recipe , here. Coincidence? I think not!